Charlie's Song Birds

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > seed mix

BIG,R

HI CHARLIE, what kinds of seed mix do you use for your different kinds of birds.thanks

November 25, 2008 at 8:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

charlies-song-birds
Site Owner

Hey Rick, all my Carduelans except for the smaller African Serins , all get a good quality canary mix with added plain canary seed to dilute it . I do this as I keep most in cages and this keeps them lean and they do not get fat or lethargic. I also add some small black sunflower and safflower in a treat cup for the European Greenfinches and Goldfinches. As for the smaller African Serins they do best on a Estirlid type of  Finch mix with various millets , and also offer them the diluted canary mix although they do pick thru it its never totally eaten.

November 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BIG,R

cool, thanks bud

November 27, 2008 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JimG

Hi Rick, where do you usually get your supply of seeds, and what brands do you use? 

November 27, 2008 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BIG,R

HI JIM, i use to go for the pricey blattner mixes and it is one of the best ones out there but can add up after some time at $4 a pound.so i have been following charlie and my birds look great at less then half the price.RICK FROM,CT

November 27, 2008 at 8:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JimG

Hi Rick, I was doing the exact same thing.    Now I go to Dodge grain in N.H. they carry a few brands of bulk canary mix and plain canary seed.   What I don't understand is that Blue Seal's 50lbs canary mix is $30,  and 50lbs just Plain canary seed (I think it's Moyer brand) is the exact price as Blue Seal's mix. 

November 28, 2008 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BIG,R

HI JIM, i have been thinking the same thing but at the blue seal near me there seed mix is $38 for 50 lbs and $34 for plain canary seed weid .so just the blue seal mix and befor the breeding time i add a little extra's.

November 28, 2008 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.